The motivation of the presentation is to show that in the JVM we do not need to suffer from the long code/build/deploy cycle when developing. Using TDD somehow ease the pain as the number of times that you need to recompile/repackage/redeploy as often, but there are still lots of code/configuration that cannot be tested unless you start the whole application. Also to be able to do TDD, you first need to understand how APIs (libraries/restful services) will behave and what kind of data they will return.
The presentation will demo how with a REPL you can help with:
* Build a full application a bit at a time, without having to recompile, repackage or redeploy it.
* Understand libraries.
* Explore existing databases and http services.
* Improve the TDD workflow.
* Inspect the state of a running application.
* Debug in staging or even production environments.
The presentation will be mostly a live coding demo with few slides. Coding will be done in Clojure, but the presentation will focus on the workflow that a REPL allows.
Buy this talk
Buy this video
With ConferenceCast.tv you get access to our library of the world's best conference talks.