Events Add an event Speakers Talks Collections
 
Code BEAM V America 2021
November 5, 2020, Online, California, US
Code BEAM V America 2021
Request Q&A
Code BEAM V America 2021
From the conference
Code BEAM V America 2021
Request Q&A
Video
Keynote: EEF - looking back at 2020 and forward at 2021 - Peer Stritzinger | Code BEAM V America 21
Available
In cart
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Add to favorites
314
I like 0
I dislike 0
Available
In cart
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
  • Description
  • Transcript
  • Discussion

About the talk

This video was recorded at virtual Code BEAM V America conference, which took place on 10-12th March 2021 - https://codesync.global/conferences/code-beam-v-america-2021/

More great virtual tech conferences - https://codesync.global​

---

EEF - looking back at 2020 and forward at 2021

by Peer Stritzinger

---

SPEAKER - Peer Stritzinger

Peer helped start the Erlang Ecosystem Foundation and serves it as a member of the board.

He is Founder and Director of Peer Stritzinger GmbH which created GRiSP www.grisp.org, a platform to run Erlang on small embedded systems and focusses on building Automotive, Industrial IoT and Smart Cities applications and tries to use Erlang technology wherever useful.

Also work package lead for H2020 LightKone EU research and innovation project, which researches Edge Computing.

Peer's previous experience ranges from low level device drivers to functional languages in industrial and automotive applications, he initially mastered in physics at the Technical University Munich. He has been working self-employed as a developer since 1987 and also consulted in applied cryptography and protocol design and implementation. He is currently living and working in the idyllic countryside west of Munich, Bavaria.

---

Code BEAM V America

Website: https://codesync.global/conferences/code-beam-v-america-2021/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/CodeBEAMio

About speaker

Peer Stritzinger
Founder and Managing Director at Dipl.Phys. Peer Stritzinger GmbH

Peer ported Erlang to Hard-Realtime Operating system RTEMS (www.grisp.org). He developed the Hydraprog automotive control unit flashing device, which has been used successfully all over the world for over a decade. Since 2007 the firmware of the device is written mainly in Erlang - including protocol stacks for all existing automotive protocols. Peer is currently developing an industrial transport system controller with Erlang in a small embedded system. Peer's previous experience ranges from low level device drivers to functional languages in industrial and automotive applications, he initially mastered in Physics at the Technical University Munich. He has been working self-employed as a developer since 1987 and also consulted in applied cryptography and protocol design and implementation. He is currently living and working in the idyllic countryside west of Munich, Bavaria.

View the profile
Share

I will rush you through the few slides, introducing things. And then the main part of the talk will be interviews, the pre-recorded. And if that question some of the people that recorded an ecosystem Foundation First, Who We Are? Well, I think that you can skip over that side pretty quickly because but I'll probably all know who we are and then profits for the community and all the other languages on the beam to actually grow and improve their ecosystem. We're here for everyone. Logos of all the languages. At some point,

I think not long ago are running on the beam. Actually. I hope I get to the mall together. This time of the alarm, that we might think that the closure of Labor day long. I assume that's caramel that she called. Mobile, I don't know those website that is actually a page on the community every other language logo and just look them up. If 26.39 was supporting member staff member to pay. I know she doesn't have to pay your lawyer fee and be lifetime supporting

Number 601. Basic numbers on the frontier. The bullet that complex steals all pretty much, like, like from the store. This is kind of like the initial sounding board still. We have an election soon. Oakley saying hi to our sponsors. Thank you for sponsoring us if the current set of sponsors. As of today, will see how many come back and how many you can get them to join. If you work at, the company or you have enough money or, you know, a company or could sponsor send them away? We already have to throw this list and and

increase the funding of everything. A very short run up with all the groups. Currently working groups are mentioned in the view. The slide which are not mention interviews. There's the language into a probability working group that's working on that the different languages on the Beam work together, convention center and tooling to make this run more smoothly because that would increase the usability of of the different effects, in two languages, quite a lot. If you could just like mix and match and don't have to

do much about how this is done. Is it all Pokemon X on processors talking to other languages? What the actually at the moment, I don't know. Yet. I have to say and I didn't reach anybody before to talk. I'm the security working group has been busy. That is a guide about like how to do secure coding on the bean kind of like guidelines of how to do. It's a very nice guy. I'm check it out and I supposed to be work on such a bill of materials. I see Duncan in the in the audience at

the Dunkin Donuts, like to know more about them, check the sunken afterwards meatspin room, which you probably will Choi. I wish, DPR one of the country that has been funded by the foundation. I recently found the project and probably one more to come up. And yes, I did. So many more. So let us hear from him. Hi Toma, so I haven't hear for kind of like two reasons, one senior and several working groups, which are these tight pants. So I'm Paul to see Bill and packaging booking group and the other everything.

And I'm also working with the embedded working groups that you are part of. So then Benadryl control by stats for the and inflation which was to speed up printing floats to string in OT. Be sure to bring a new algorithm into your TV to use up cold brew and how many we can rebuild interested because that was fitting is what they were doing and Fulton Communications. And so I don't think that project and I wait for them to implement that into a TV. Yeah, we probably need to change the name of them. Benadryl can grab some bikes, not only

embedded systems but also stuff in better than 2. OTG clothes that I work on every day, but I ended up, I think I can use like clothes ended up going through my legs everyday, and I sue a block list of it. And that was interesting. And I looked into the comments and someone to come and so saying, you know, it's rude, new 2019, and I was interested and looked at it. It happened at the time. I was also looking with your favorite, you working group on things, and you happens if, when you do,

Obscenity test of three. I will send you the perfect in my eyes. You end up doing a lot of a flute to string because we send a lot of Jason with float for metrics. And so I was looking at a time like if we can leave and so I looked at what the TV was using you up and talking about there's multiple ways, but one of the ways which is used by the old Jays, and I'm cooler like, you know, Jason jiffy's on there, but poison in the only The only function Papa's a

pretty printer for Peyton. And this faulty throttle easy to modify into bringing you and coronavirus test and everything, which is quite nice and cloudy could be. And if it would be ready faster and much more, can they offer it to the information? I'm so interested in finding it. So that's how I ended up with them. Excellent. So how much, how much speed up? Did you manage to dance? So, from The Benchmark? We have inside OTP, which are good for Divinity, not

covering the whole gamut of things like this always Benchmark, Benchmark. Always, we get full-time speed up without glue and 5x with a jet ski to keep this like Zapped in a tipi for a long time, to a different TV, some peppermints. We can squeeze. There's different in some place where we can get a little bit more attention. You could do bugs. This is probably going to be something we spend time on because there's another proposal I made with the interpretation which is to bring this algorithm in shoes. A

Biff used some flute to listen to Binary have said they were interested in so we know they would accept that and that would be an extension of the appeal of this best and that would be easier to maintain because the reference implementation is Android 18. See which it was based on this and that should give us a fall faster a result because full of the way we do all this algorithm match well with c and will control your memory space. Because that's a big things of which we lose once we run into Nana. And because while we don't control, exactly the size of all

In particular we are going to detail is to fit into 64-bit Flint judges on TV. So we are forced to move into big enough in some case, which is a huge costs. The warranty of the 64-bit for integer. Then why are you so terrible to move in to see? I expect to get a really good speed up there. It's really hard to give a night in order of magnitude because there's no but I hope at least another 2 to 3 times speed up and pull me closer to an order of magnitude speed up.

Yes, because I could be exactly. That's what we have right now. A compatible with food to list and list to float. Excellent. Okay. With it will. Who would have thought that such a speed up as soon as possible? And something like renting, is when we not efficient, like, it's really slow to the point that it's like, if you might float, two, discs into a format, like, like a CSV or Jason or something. Transforming into float. Casting the floating tube string is the thing that is going to go out on the cube, by printing,

the float to strength, which is even on the spinning disc, which is quite slow. And I'll go return date from 1996 by the creek. Full episodes March 1018, and some ones that do something. Totally different in his day-to-day work and he work at Google in Basel, which is abl system employment. Antioch has a problem with implementing is 12 p.m. And you even this phone, you understand the full of it faster than everything. Always free to any free time in general. Like you happy about like funded

projects because They'll do those things. Where would she be? All the ecosystem would need work to happen for the well-being of the ecosystem which have been really hard to get the ice cap. We lying on people, free time is nice, but there are limits to what they can do, especially when a girl is going to see up. There is a really small amount of people that maintain a lot of the ecosystem. I mean, I know everyone in the room is probably knows a name, but I'm thinking of people like Fred Tristan bun wash, you know, I'm thinking of, you know, we all know

anything, but maintain a lot, also, trying to go system and a lot of good work, but Debbie T. Wool Community to come in on saying, listen to see if these are things that matters for us and we're ready to make them with better and do that by Because of how you people can spend time on things is because that's pretty good. And I think that's good for everyone in the community and for a long time for the Bean. Excellent. I think we are at the End of Time. Sloth. I'm looking at the watch a little bit. I have another interview coming up very soon. So thank you for your

time and thank you for your insights and thank you for your good work. So, that's why was Thomas and the next interview? I think. I don't need to introduce Jose volume. He wants to tell us about some really exciting. New working group that he started we tried. We will try that first meeting today. Also, and it was really interesting. I joined mediately. Hydrazine, so you here for a very special announcement. I heard you working group in town. Yes, I'm glad that's to be the chair of the machine learning work.

Working group, that hopefully is going to explore a lot of new things in, uncharted waters in the bean community and their names of the system. That's accident. So I'm really, really glad that numerical. Computation is getting more into Focus because it always bothered me that people always say. Yes in American stations, like nothing is missing in the language, libraries in all the languages. So I'm really happy that something Spence of bed. So, how's it going in American working so far?

We have just started and so my work so far and I think is going to be for some period of time. He's getting a like-minded people to join because it's it's a whole new area for us. So far is Temple. I don't have my knowledge on this air is like a decade-old updated. So we need people who are interested in knowing you're sitting with him learning about building to join. We can exchange ideas and plans where we think we should. Focus on and put our reports and so

on. So that has been kind of day for. So we we we didn't have our first meeting after going to have it in two days soon to be the week is required and goes up and I think going to be to be fun because I don't have anything to talk about with, besides, introducing a thousand, but he faces of the names and then we can start focusing on the the work that we want the ecobee to do, when to focus on. I know some of its going to be related to Annex the library that we have really used. But I am looking what, I'm looking for

two freshly weave into work and groupies, you know, how we can collaborate with all the other languages on the being so, yeah, they started working on this library for a Lakes area. But how can we make sure that we can use it from early? We can use it from other? Languages and also the collaboration with other working groups so far. As if I can tell you now, destroy the chair of the embedded. Working group decided. We just finished aot compilation. So this is really nice because you can park in for like tranny or networking or machine because you know what the

training on the device or devices going to be like I supposed to be super slow so you can try a new network on your machine and you can compile a suitable, you know a shot of Jack file with the net worth for a meter is all the cold that you just shipped to the device of the device. Doesn't need to have all the defenses of. Yeah. So exactly. So I'm sure that the, you know, that's exactly I think one of the reasons why we have the working group is collaboration like this because I

am pretty sure have to be like things with cross-tabulation that I don't know about, but Like the bread and butter of thing. Better working group, you know, you're probably doing things like that all the time. And you know, and also like collaboration with bigger than packaging because now you're talkin about, you know, like I didn't know these like those things are all those libraries for. Do we know, did you feel it as a competition was, like, they are really, really being like to know you got stuff. So we don't like, you know,

we shall also be hoping a conversation with ltp team. So there are some things that I think will have to improve on the other side of things as well. And I think all of it very exciting. Excellent, very cool. So, you will be talkin about and Nick's on this conference and then other talk. So you don't go into details here. So I don't know what the ordering of the talks at this point of the time if this will be before or after. So, Listen to Seether. You already have four other talk. I'll go to the talk and listen to it, please. And if you missed it, look at the recording.

Precisely. So a lot of interesting stuff happening and I think I'm really looking forward to everybody on the machine guarding working group to know to, to do, your contributions got involved. And I'll be really happy to know maybe next year for the next could be in America when we have to do this interview. I'll, I'll have a lot of stuff about about the progress that we made. Hopefully so very cool. Thank you. Thank you. Bye. Toca stock from Miriam Penna.

She is in many working groups and she will tell us about a few of those. Video you are talking about the education, working group to us today. So, how did it go in the last year or years? If I think I have a question for everyone, how did it go last year? We we created the medication group on 2019, on July 2019. Our goal was to increase of element has a strong medication training. Of course, we have such a lot of people joining. We will start having our first meeting and we set up our strategists. We had a sort of strategy for

one to three years in which we wanted to Chris. The number of developers who have a basic language of the Technologies in American Airlines. And we have a long-term strategy in which a will increase the complexity of the trainings and the courses are or are they still give to make people have a better knowledge in advance. We had a few sessions with you, a lot about storming and what kind of another one as we could do and we talked about what page do an

intercept and all of that but we thought it was not the best timing for toasting. So we decided to postpone it. For a long-term strategy is start with with the essence of what we do with this would be the trainings and things which are related to two Asian. We have to re-evaluate. Filiberto strategy, we were really lucky because Simon and others suggested that we could read what we launched. Them training at, those were not immediately respond. That wonderful. Absolutely wonderful training course book on the future lamp platform at 4 week.

And we we we roll it out with a collaboration with the foundation as Herman Plaza, where they're supporting the students and with Simon. And that was really good success. And also as part of going to be actual. We had we had talked to think about ways in which we could help students get their trainings in the morning to get away. And that's when we start to tell kid with a cold, be some of the most important conferences and Eldorado and we wait for sending students to trainings and Susan, as soon as the conference's and we have to roll. It

was a rolling it out with universities so far in the last year we have sent 200 students to do. We increase the scope of the people receive the training. And we decided to add women to add and represent people in Tech. So you have people from all around the world from the students, and then we decided to brother and include unrepresented, reach out to a community of students in Latin American, female students in there. And they're giving, they're just they're giving away tickets to women in America. We have given away tickets to

people in India, two people in Africa, allows people to be around other people in American General. And makes me really happy that we took out two to make things little things that have an impact on these people, but at the same time brings us together in another way, so, excellent. This is very interesting and I really love it. And we have another hundred students minorities a schedule, 50 most likely for the euro in Europe. So do you want to do this conference? There also students? I believe we have 70 80 students and

other parts of us. That's wonderful. I think I'm going to mention it. But one of the things, we also work in the beginning was this stupid program? Reformation and two parts of the mechanism of helping people get their funding for for trainings and all the little things. We just decided to create that. The how do you say procedure to receive for this? A whole step by step internal guide of how is a Stevens get approved? And that was God was defined by an education, working group also last year and

a few of them and I invite you to actually picking up the it was quiet in the beginning, but I think it's picking up. And I think when what gets out the like what kinds of things are funded by people hearing about, I hope they will be online soon. But know this what it was and good-by to the patient. Also another. It's been popping up here and there are a lot of conversations about how we can get in the building which is closer to the Latin America Community

conversations with some people who have materials and what will it take to make materials more available in the Westside translate. Translate book. That's that's single to make it was nothing. There's nothing I can point out that the moment but that is has things that are happening within within the group. and also, So yeah, I had to cut the video submit as he was just. So I'm talking to my bed because we already over running the. So we had a pretty bad about the ability and building in packaging

broken group. A friend. So you are here for two broken groups today, which working groups are these where is probably the one where I have the most direct involvement as a commentator of free bars? 3D? Other working group, I'm active into is the observability working group and just one I'm slightly less active. I'm in approver on the open. Telemetry erlang Elixir projects, but mostly don't do a lot of activity of elements for this myself. So let's always the last one. What what's observability? Working group about rights

has done a bunch of work when it comes to unifying some of the approaches to unlocking to metrics and now to tracing across both the airline Elixir Community, the workaround. Observability in general is super interesting because there's this approach of how do we built libraries that work? Well for the yearling principles and for the Elixir principles and they are all the other adjacent language in the Echo System. There's also this aspect is it open till 3, which goes into asking the question of how do we make sure that all this being specific

stuff, is also going to play nicely with the other tooling that other programming languages, because too many companies of people doing operations down the Shirley care which stock is being used, for whatever they are operating at the point in time. It's really about having a Uniform way of asking questions and finding answers about how their systems are running. And so there is a decent amount of collaboration and there and making sure that we do play nice with which vehicle system and outside of it as well. So, they asked me

if I remember, how many years of tracing stuff that was confusing opencensus, and a bunch of other specification and make it. You do one standard to rule them all, which actually seems to be the one standard that's going to win a lot of these tanks. And recently reached the Milestone of version 1.0 which means that they had the tray specification for Disturbia tracing completely out of the way. They're going to have a coming updates for metrics and stuff like that. But once the specification

landed, there were only four programming languages who had a library that respect of the entire specification know there was a sudden and whatnots. What are lying and elixir because there is also an Elixir specific API. For that was part of the only For language environments that supported that so you would you mind working group? So, Maybe a short intro, what what this is about and what it's doing? And then we look into the specifics. Loosely, related interest. There's people maintaining Docker images and, you know, the Google actions that have to do with making good CI and Si

bills, there's a bill to himself specifically, awesome reports three, we now have people around the caramel language or joining. We've got people from Utica team, who maintained, a compiler, in a bunch of other user experience of feeling that stuff. We've got people from the hex project who are mostly concerned with a package package Management's, but for libraries and, you know, it's a bunch of people working on these projects all on their own. But we get together frequently for meetings. But also in the channels where we do the development

in order to keep that sort of Communication channel open across all of our projects. You have an overall view of what is going on with the community and making sure that we push in a more unified Direction in general. So, you know, we now are aware of changes that could be coming through that. Way Ott has built itself of what their requirements would be if it wanted to move. Free barre3 within what they're doing, where a hex is headed, so that everyone can keep up at the same time. What other languages and ecosystem are trying to do. And what

about the current setups are being problematic. We've got bigger players being involved. For example, WhatsApp, who care about very large field in Moana, Repose, which is different than what smaller open for developers would be doing. And for us to pick benefit there. It's just having this unified way of talking to each other and knowing what people are working on. An Watch coming ahead of the Curve. So there's a lot of usefulness already happening without from the project write a lot of these projects would have been taking place regardless of whether the foundation

would have been around her nuts. The big difference for us has been to that the foundation gave us a really, really good for text or context in which we can talk together and have his going through and in some cases to find some of the efforts that could be beneficial to many parts of the community wants. So you are speaking of funded project. That was one funny project. So far. Tristan, who is the working group chair and also coming to interview barre3 maintaining relics maintaining the hex or committing the

hex extension, for rebar 3 along with a few other people cut funding to take some time and develop Theory likes 4.0 release. Which specifically for us man. It's having an easier way to work with container environments. Had to do with removing some stuff around, EPMD making it easier to do from within Docker images. And so, you know, it's one of the things that seems like it mostly benefits or like, folks early on, but it is only possible because we have these contrasting views within the folks, handling the containers. The folks

handling some other parts store. Get Tristan is done about that. I was also been implemented in Booty. Making it play well with other stuff, which folk do popping mix now, have the ability of pushing their with their own releases and everything like that. So that we've been able to put that within rebars 3.14, which has been released through 2020. Accident anything known about the future that you're both working groups may be. So, we're currently discussing what the next generation of the compare the compiler. Epi

would look like for Orlando TT. So, you know, rather than just calling Earl see over time that the thing that we found is that they are a few sharp edges and how it's being built. And we're currently having big discussions about what far you spill tools and environment would be requiring, you know, what would rebars three required to be working? Well, but that would also work best with something like basil for people with large polyglot environments where it's at 1. So that's probably the one big discussion that we have going on. There were involved

or getting involved with the Google summer of code efforts within the foundation. To do stuff like a unified Ivy Hecks, authentication flows across Earth's environment because right now there's some stuff location and how this is being handled and you know, we're always on the lookout for more projects of the kind on the officer bility point of view. There's work on going but what's going on before but is still ongoing about how to better, you know, Judy instrumentation of Frameworks by Phoenix or close. I don't recall the exact details because I'm not the one working out that

stuff but you know, we making sure that the instrumentation is done at the proper scope. Is it being too low level? Where it becomes ladybug, in your honest answer, is that high-level enough to work with the open Telemetry efforts, that will be getting more more integration overtime. The only thing that's being looked there also is that the open till metrospec is going to get a betta toward metrics and we're probably going to need more hands to help trifecta. Call Mitch right now. Giving people are getting a lot busier on the working group as well. Okay, give me a call text for everybody

showing up. So I can drop and currently having the elections for the board had, this is an administrative role for people who like to I don't know p.m. Meetings and manage budgets, which is not everyone but if really what people are looking for is getting their hands dirty and doing a specific footwork, that gets to impact the lives of everyone using or stuff to work in groups are great. Great place to look into and getting it false. Excellent. Thank you for your very interesting and

very intriguing details of the two working groups. I'm following. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for having me. so one more little thing to add likely to muddle things to add the documentation, working group has been merged into the building packaging group, so-called improvements about documentation the show and Does improvements in the documentation, formatting. No big deal to this focus group. And another thing that just popped up today, the OTP team decided

to include Reba free energy and use reverse split, the bill. So this is a just wasn't planning for a long time and today, they announced their position. So, let's move on. From the embedded walking group is of course. Very, of course, very close to my heart and being content of like joining. The community from the embedded side Natalia. China will tell us about the destruction group and a few funded project that has been has been happening in this group.

I do not tell you. You're my most embedded working group. Tell me, tell me about the way you choose to embedded working group. And what is your background to go to the embedded, working group at the University? And my research is very much about scaling distributed systems in particular. I'm very interested in sex, and that's what my daughter. And I'm also fascinated with Alan, and I would love to see Adeline bring the past that it has entered about it. That's, that's my father admitted

system. Okay, that gets us about. I will fund. The projects are independent working group has a few funded project. I think one of you and one of those is your favorite, what would it be? And I actually was trying to put the fleet from the ground is idea for quite a number of years. So the first paper was published in 2016. And is this really slow? What can we try to apply for you finding and work will be done with the university and students? How to get

roses? Can you tell me like a rose is actually what it's used. In formulas are used all over the boat its open-source and they D is that no single lab or Institute? And do you know, who has a little boy and we need our contributions from all over the world. Can you use state-of-the-art to that? They don't want to give up and focus, the developer and development developing state-of-the-art to that they can contribute. The same time. He's also quite enthusiastic about his tools and

the Elsa remix, another companies that I was. So what's the average as well? That's picking up the speed of a single point of failure of communication and that the design was that, it's replaced. And that's what we want to replace this communication with the level of Tolerance. And the statue is, developing this communication. Okay. So R Us toys are distributed system already and it also has no time. I did some reading and communicate with the protocol and probably

wants to speak this protocol also, so we can kind of like to Amex deployment of flight Rose notes at the moment, Ross and Rose to the, don't talk to each other. And if we replace communication with the Atlanta, hopefully we can develop. So what else do you like about the embedded working group? And or maybe they aren't Foundation pick you up? Yes. I think I like that. We always, you know, every two weeks. I like a lot of dead trees. Just put the girls and we put your actions for our

next week and everybody Geneva's that an update to everybody. I like that but at the same time people such a promise, what's a grand jury? And judge the evil that, you know, what time I need to, I like the movement for what we had a number of action that you wanted to achieve and actually buy the I think end of January. Looking at some other things such as the present, I have to admit that everything is going much more smoothly since you joined. So you have to be very crucial to actually getting us more

well-organized and get Ashley. Get us some goals. And this actually showed since we have three funded project now and I think I think more than any other group at the moment and I'm really proud about that. That'd be kind of like minutes to kind of like pull through and and actually do something and then Implement things. Lots of incest about it unless it's in the beginning. It was well beginning for me the looks of such a disappointment about this project just

to get their project and then I get to get an ID. Thank you very much and thank you for joining. The better working group has really helped a lot. So there's one more interview last but not least Brian Paxton very active in the foundation. Since the start helping us with lots of infrastructure built in the latest version of the website and is pastry constantly everywhere and doing everything for everybody. So really type of hands from from myself O'Brien. We wouldn't be where we would be without

him. So let's hear from him. And then after this interview, we finally can head to toe. Hi, Brian, nice to have you here. So you have been active quite for a long time, right? From the beginning, almost of the ocean and stay you. Mainly will be talkin about infrastructure and marketing working group. But he also very active in the building, a package, Rock and Roll. Party already have another interview for that. So tell me about marketing infrastructure in what are what are you once? So I got involved with the marketing working group shortly after the

Inception of the foundation. I came onto I saw an opportunity to help with the website and that turned from one thing into another. And we kick around some ideas for taking it from WordPress to a static site in order to The Hope was this to increased contribution from the community and make it open source and so forth. We started off with a Hugo prototype and then we played around with Arlington Elixir Statics, I generators, ultimately, we decided to use Phoenix and the site for the site, mostly

remained static for a while, and then things just kept evolving evolving. We saw a need to put a database back, my debt and, and so forth. And so on, that was that, that was my original involvement in marketing. And there's been a lot of work in that area over the other the past few years and we've gotten help from a few different people. It might be helpful to talk about a little bit more of the history of the Marketing Group you no cancel. It was started by Bowie and and, and then a

whole bunch of people joined and it was mostly Engineers and Ducks to be expected. But you know, that in conjunction with the website being owned by marketing. It really started to become more of a technical group in the marketing. So we've been shifted the website, the ownership of the website mostly into infrastructure though. Things bleed, over. That is actually not marketing. Exactly. Exactly. And so marketing, slowly, starting to become a marketing working group. Again, you know, we, we mainly focus on the things we do, which is onboarding a new sponsor

specifically with sponsors goes in a lining on initial announcements for sponsors. We work with all the working group's. Just read news about activities within their working groups. We managed Communications such as Twitter link. Newsletters, excetera and so forth. And we also brainstorm and try to come up with ways to further promote the ecosystem, and there's always opportunities presenting themselves. So that's I think that's a little bit of History Ivan

play because you're just always there anyway, and I make more presents down and I think the rest, I think it would be more easy to come up with it. But I think I like the professional. I say something because it always pulls things from you. So if they run out of content, they come to us and see what more or you can eat infrastructure decide, you need this and that again triggers things because Don't have to do it. This heart of this thing by yourself, but then we can

provide the things that we can do best. You can and talk about the stuff we love and then then provide the contents. What content is not like it's more poles. No, push,. Push always need some extra energy and amazing to me how, you know, you think to yourself? Okay? Doing tweet, sending out emails may be doing newsletters excetera. Okay, I can do that. If not not a big deal, exactly it. Well. I mean, I I think the point I was trying to get at with that. It's all time and energy. All of it. It's all well as Engineers. We, we like, you know, we like to build things

and we think that we can just solve all the problems that you can't solve the problem of time and energy. That's the lesson that I Personally open past few years, but, you know, so as I was saying a few minutes ago, the website started off in in the marketing working group and then it moved to infrastructure. And I think that that, that was a good move, not only for the Marketing Group, but it helps, you know, we quit, we can have more focused discussions about the tooling that we

need as far as the website goes and that's involved in that horse is starting to become more than just a presentation site, but it's starting to become useful for the community as well. So all this is very exciting. I'm tightening up the back end right now and getting some things clean. You know, the websites had a really weird Evolution. And so there was a lot of that if you will, that has can't come along with Play some history. That's a lot of interesting history. But we're tightening

that up right now. And then I think we're going to start really honestly reaching out to the community, to try to help us, but I really need to get it in a place where nobody had to deal with that funky history first, but it's, it's, this is an interesting point. We've gotten to the where things are, you know, bleeding over from one working group to another, but I think that's a good thing, right? We're starting at 6. And yes, I love this, you know, for example, the day we found out that we weren't

accepted to Google summer of code. And and we immediately at least I saw an opportunity that hey, why don't we just have her own summer of code? And the interesting point about that? Yeah, it is. It's going to cause convergence of several working groups. Ranging from the built-in packaging, possibly embedded the education working group, and then marketing as well, which is already had its own, you know, set of goals. As far as, you know, reaching outside of our own community at that is the same one of the things that we

spoke in a lot about marketing is that, perhaps that we talked to ourselves too much in that regard, and we really need to communities across than Python. And so for it might be helpful for me to comment on some things that are coming up. Yeah. That's that's what's coming up. What's next thing. What's the future? Really excited about this coming up in the the mark on teams are going to be Carrying out this work. Primarily. We're going to start conducting interviews with a focus on not so well-known

people in the community and we feel this is extremely important to Growing our ecosystems and it's not something you typically see a lot, not even another foundations. There's always, you know, the spot lights being being put on people that the community already knows about, and they're already quite familiar with their accomplishments. And we all know, you know, I love and respect these people and admire them, but I don't think that this helps grow a community. I think, what what is it is going to help further? Grow our community, shining a light on people that aren't so well-known.

And and and I don't mean just, you know, some people that made maybe have not got a lot of recognition over the years to people that have literally just got into this, you know, maybe they just started a job, you know, him. They've just been noodling around with erling an Elixir for the past couple years because I think that's that's going to let you know, say to people, I can do this to, I can get into this. This is not something with that. This is something that is within my reach. I think to some people perhaps that the beam

are laying Elixir. Functional programming music, very, you know, complicated and complex and maybe is a very mathematical to some people, which it is that, you know, one level. But yeah, I really want to help whether we do Marketing Group. We really want to help put a spotlight on the next generation of erlanger's Elixir has excetera excetera I think we can call this a wrap for today cuz otherwise, I really have a 12. I hope I don't fall you inside and keep up the good work. Thanks, dear. Have a good day. Have a good day.

Bye. Yes, it was not a two-hour kinobody. I put a try being a little bit longer than expected. It's my stressed out of interview. I record and I recorded that we learned a lot about, like, how hard is the cut interviews? If you need to show them, if you don't prepare for that, having guests and all kinds of things so he could come to Blake Tyson to the Clinton, but it didn't work out. So, one last Light, before the beer space clear, before the groups.

We are having an election. The board election is coming. Today is the last day to submit your candidacy, midnight. Let's all waiting. I don't know if anybody is still have to having something in the pipeline. If you'd only stop. Now. It's probably from tomorrow to basically, for one week to go outside, open the link that the sun is there that they have any of the details. So you just had to their website and scroll down and then you see the election thing. So, if you're eligible to vote, which is basically everybody except the

free basic membership still working in managing supporting last time, supporting fellows. All these groups are eligible to work. Please do so. And if the next year, we only voting for one set of the board and then every year so we don't have too much kind of like change and every give me a give out. And with that, I will head upstairs and grab a beer cuz I think for me it's really late now and I just left my beer now and then it said 11:30 so you can find the link in the app.

You can find the old, Soviet the link in the zoom chat. Just zoomed through the foundation. Thanks and see you there and then come and socialize. Your thank you so much fear and thank you. Everyone in the foundation could be a 2020 probe a year to remember for the right reasons and not the wrong. All right. Thank you. Everyone even had that was embedded and see you there and tell you the latest.

Cackle comments for the website

Buy this talk

Access to the talk “Keynote: EEF - looking back at 2020 and forward at 2021 - Peer Stritzinger | Code BEAM V America 21”
Available
In cart
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free

Ticket

Get access to all videos “Code BEAM V America 2021”
Available
In cart
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Ticket

Interested in topic “IT & Technology”?

You might be interested in videos from this event

November 9 - 17, 2020
Online
50
27
future of ux, behavioral science, design engineering, design systems, design thinking process, new product, partnership, product design, the global experience summit 2020, ux research

Similar talks

Anna Neyzberg
Co-founder at ElixirBridge
+ 2 speakers
Amos Kig King
CEO at Binary Noggin
+ 2 speakers
Chris Keathley
Austin Area Sales at Martin Marietta
+ 2 speakers
Available
In cart
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Rob Mee
Founder at Pivotal Labs and Geometer
+ 2 speakers
Jane Walerud
Serial Entrepreneur | Private investor at Walerud Ventures
+ 2 speakers
William King
CTO & cofounder at Subspace
+ 2 speakers
Available
In cart
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Chelsea Troy
Staff Software Engineer, Machine Learning & Backend Systems at Mozilla
Available
In cart
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Available
In cart
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free

Buy this video

Video
Access to the talk “Keynote: EEF - looking back at 2020 and forward at 2021 - Peer Stritzinger | Code BEAM V America 21”
Available
In cart
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free
Free

Conference Cast

With ConferenceCast.tv, you get access to our library of the world's best conference talks.

Conference Cast
868 conferences
35378 speakers
13487 hours of content